You are here: Home - News -

NAB announces details of demerger and IPO to investors

by:
  • 07/12/2015
  • 0
NAB announces details of demerger and IPO to investors
National Australia Bank (NAB), has announced that it expects its demerger and Initial Public Offering (IPO) of the Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks to complete in early February next year.

It is proposed that 75% of the demerger will go to NAB shareholders, while the remaining 25% will be released on the London Stock Exchange and Australian Securities Exchange to institutional investors.

The banks will float under the trading name CYBG, and will see shareholders retain their existing shares, while eligible shareholders will receive one security for every four NAB shares owned.

Directors at NAB have voted unanimously to recommend that the demerger is in the best interests of its shareholders, and believe that it is likely to enhance value for them in the long term.

A spokesman for Clydesdale Bank said that the demerger meant it would be able to set its own strategy for the first time since the bank was independent around 80 years ago.

“We’ve not really talked much about strategy, but the intermediary mortgage market will continue to be an important part of what we do,” he said.

On 27 January, the bank will hold a scheme and general meeting to consider the proposed capital reduction of shares as part of the demerger.

NAB chairman Michael Chaney said: “In recent years, NAB has taken a number of steps and initiatives to strengthen CYBG’s standalone position. The NAB directors are of the view that CYBG is now in a position to be demerged to NAB shareholders and be listed as a standalone retail and SME bank with a strong franchise across its core regional UK markets, a strong balance sheet and capital position, a robust business plan and operating platform, as well as an experienced management team.

“The demerger provides eligible shareholders with separate investments in NAB and CYBG and if they choose to retain their CYBG securities, the ability to benefit from any improvement in the UK economy and CYBG’s strategy and performance going forward,” he added.

There are 0 Comment(s)

You may also be interested in

Business Skills

In this section, we offer short ‘how to’ guides on harder to crack areas of business. From social media, to regulation or niche product areas, we cover it all.

Profiles

Our journalists interview key industry entrepreneurs, strategists and commentators for day-to-day market insight and a strategic view of where the industry is heading. We offer lessons for success and explore the opportunities for your business

Success in Practice

Here, we share case studies fleshing out best practice to help you decide what could work for your business. Take a look at how others approached complex tasks like launching a new mortgage lender, advising on a new product area or deciding to specialise in another. Learn from others mistakes and triumphs.

Marketwatch

Each week, we ask top mortgage and property commentators with a unique perspective to examine a key news headline, market move or regulatory or political issue.

Poll

Vote in our weekly poll here. It’s your chance to tell us what you think and be heard on the top news stories of the week. Review our archive to find out what your industry really thinks and all our coverage of the results.

Top Comments

Be part of the conversation on Mortgage Solutions. We want to hear from you. We have a tool called Disqus to tell us which stories get the most comments each week. Every Friday, the team picks the most thoughtful or opinionated contributions from our readers to enjoy again. Don’t forget to share your favourite stories from the site on social media to keep the conversation going.
  • RT @robjupp: Great day yesterday for donations to @MortSleepOut. With Gift Aid, we are now close to £17,000. It would be great to get to £2…

Read previous post:
scrabble tiles spelling 'tax' on a stack of coins
Average homebuyer saves £4,500 due to Stamp Duty reforms

The average homebuyer is £4,500 better off under the new structure of Stamp Duty introduced last year by Chancellor George...

Close