You are here: Home - Your Community - Marketwatch -

Market watch

  • 04/11/2002
  • 0
When considering equity release, should brokers use a specialist adviser or sell the products themselves?

Steve Hoare, Homeloan Partnership

Brokers know the market and what they are talking about, so there is no reason they could not sell equity release products themselves but it should all be bro ught into regulation. Specialists donot always know if equity release is the best thing for the client.

Jo Hanchett, The Mortgage Master

I would probably elect to sell equity release myself, although there is a case for getting a specialist in. It can be complex and do brokers necessarily have the time to do it themselves?

Paul Banfield, Best Advice

Equity release is something that should be dealt with separately to mortgages and certainly not in a general practitioner way. And by a specialist, as it is a complex subject that can have a major impact on a client’s financial position.

Stefan Plotnicki, Buckles Investment Services

Provided that people enter with their eyes open and understand the situation, I do not have a problem with it being done by a general practitioner. To avoid problems it is a good idea to involve the children if it is an older person looking for the equity release ‘ to make sure they are happy with it.

Nick Baxter, Mortgage Promotions

Equity release will be a huge market, but I am not sure the right products and people are out there yet. The fact that the FSA says that to sell home income plans you would need more qualifications, says to me that this should be a specialist area.

Related Posts


There are 0 Comment(s)

You may also be interested in

Read previous post:
Doors wide open

Self cert is here to stay, and more lenders are now prepared to treatthem as they would other niche sectors